For info - Press release of Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands
Brussels, 28 september 2008
Governments of Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands invest EUR
11,2 billion in Fortis
Concerted action by the three governments and the respective
supervisory authorities to support Fortis
* The three Governments of the Benelux countries invest EUR
11,2 billion in Fortis Bank.
* Fortis will sell its interest in ABN Amro Bank.
* Maurice Lippens resigns as Chairman of the Fortis Board of
Today Fortis and the Governments of Belgium, Luxembourg and the
Netherlands announce that they have entered into an agreement,
- the Government of Belgium has agreed to invest EUR 4.7 billion in
Fortis Bank NV/SA (Belgium) in exchange for a 49% share in the common
equity of this entity
- the government of the Netherlands invests EUR 4.0 billion in Fortis
Bank Nederland Holding in exchange for a 49% ownership of this entity
- the Government of Luxembourg invests EUR 2.5 billion in Fortis
Banque Luxembourg SA. in the form of a mandatory convertible loan.
Next to other rights Luxembourg upon conversion will be entitled to
49% of Fortis Banque Luxembourg.
Today Maurice Lippens decided to step down as Chairman of the Fortis
NV/SA Supervisory Board. His replacement will be recruited from
outside the company in consultation with the Belgian government. In
addition, the supervisory boards of each of the Belgian, Dutch and
Luxembourg Banks of Fortis will be reconstituted with significant
presence of candidates nominated by each of the respective