Solvay GROUP *
SECOND QUARTER 2012 BUSINESS REVIEW
Growth engines and highly resilient businesses driving the good performance in
* Net sales stable at EUR 3,331 million yoy with prices +2%, volumes (6)% and
* REBITDA(1) at EUR 565 million (17% margin) up by 8% versus Q1'12 and (6)%
down yoy against a peak comparable
* Record results in Specialty Polymers and Consumer Chemicals driven by
strong pricing power
* Sustained high-level performance in Essential Chemicals and Acetow & Eco
* Persisting difficult market conditions, volume and margin squeeze for
Vinyls and Polyamide
* Good progress of the integration and the delivery of cost efficiencies (EUR
55 million(2) in H1'12)
* Management of assets (sale of PipeLife and corporate premises) resulting in
after-tax capital gains of EUR 113 million
* Adjusted Net Income (Group Share) of EUR 244 million (IFRS Net Income of EUR
* Free Cash Flow of EUR 138 million and stable Net Debt of EUR 1.8 billion
1. REBITDA: operating result before depreciation and amortization, non-recurring
items, financial charges and income taxes.
2. versus 2010 pro forma cost base
Quote of the CEO
In the current uncertain environment, the good performance achieved in the
quarter highlights the Group's solid fundamentals. Our growth engines continued
to deliver strongly, mostly compensating for challenged cycle-sensitive
businesses. We reinforced our expansion in high-growth countries, namely in
China and India, with the commissioning of new production and R&D facilities.
The building of the new Solvay is now well on-track and we are committed to
realize our value-creative ambition.
Business dynamics should remain healthy for our growth engines and challenging
for our cycle sensitive businesses. Despite the slowing in demand observed in
June in some business segments, the ongoing major transformation of the Group
combined with our ability to fully deliver on our cost saving targets lead
Solvay to reiterate its expectation to achieve a full year REBITDA similar to
the strong 2011 pro forma level.
* Footnote applicable to the entire document: All references to year-on-year
(yoy) evolution must be understood on a pro forma basis for 2011, as if the
acquisition of Rhodia had become effective from the 1st of January 2011. On a
pro forma basis Solvay 2011 historical figures were restated in order to have
harmonized accounting policies among the two former Groups, policies that are to
be used by the new Solvay going forward. Pro forma results exclude impacts from
i) purchase price allocation entries; ii) non-recurring acquisition costs
related to the Rhodia transaction and iii) financial revenues on cash deposits
and investments. Adjusted Profit & Loss indicators exclude Purchase Price
Allocation (PPA) non-cash accounting impacts related to the Rhodia acquisition.
All period changes throughout this document are to be deemed on a year-on-year
bases unless otherwise stated.
The full press release is available on http://www.solvay.com/
Second Quarter Results 2012 :
This announcement is distributed by Thomson Reuters on behalf of
Thomson Reuters clients. The owner of this announcement warrants that:
(i) the releases contained herein are protected by copyright and
other applicable laws; and
(ii) they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and
originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Solvay S.A. via Thomson Reuters ONE